Limited edition. Exclusive release for RECORD STORE DAY 2023
This concert recording sees its first ever vinyl pressing, 60 years on!
• A rare and unique jazz work, pressed on heavyweight black vinyl
• Double album in a gatefold sleeve with Blue Note style artwork
• Research / liner notes by American historian and jazz reviewer Scott Yanow
• Features some of Dizzy's best original works performed during the height of his career
• Masters transferred and remastered from original analog tape source
This remarkable recording sees its first ever vinyl press. An unissued performance by one of the true jazz giants, Dizzy Gillespie. At the time of this recording, Gillespie was close to the halfway point of his career and very much in his musical prime. The quintet featured here began to form when saxophonist Leo Wright joined Gillespie in 1959 and pianist Lalo Schifrin was hired the following year. Bassist Chris White and drummer Rudy Collins became members in 1962. Recorded at the Las Vegas Convention Center, the group explores some of Gillespie’s finest and most famous originals, including ‘Con Alma’ and ‘A Night in Tunisia’. Those famous trumpet breaks will not disappoint.
A true stereo recording, transferred from the original analogue tapes. Pressed on heavyweight virgin vinyl. "